This approximately 3,000 s.f. renovation of a vintage apartment in Lakeview was originally constructed in 1927 and included combining two units. The smaller unit was originally an apartment for a building custodian. The main focus of the project was renovation and expansion of the existing kitchen and integration with the dining area. A wall separating the kitchen and dining was removed to open the kitchen to the dining area, giving it a more open visual and traffic flow conducive to entertaining since the owners like to cook as they entertain.
Since the building was originally constructed of concrete, steel and terra cotta brick (used for interior partition walls), every alteration required much consideration and some additional labor. Often plans needed to change due to structural obstacles which were not obvious until after demolition occurred.
Kitchen cabinets are stained walnut and sandblasted glass, countertops are polished concrete and zinc, backsplash is back-painted glass. The newly installed wood floors match existing flooring throughout the apartment and the entire floor was refinished for better visual integration.
|Location:||Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL|
|Design Principal:||Ann Clark|
|Project Architect:||Jacob Wahler|
|General Contractor:||Quality Partners Construction|